7.07.2008

Patricia Barber



I think it's a misunderstanding to view Patricia Barber as a jazz singer; although she sings quite a lot. She is a pianist, lyricist, composer and MacArthur Fellow. I will concede that Patricia Barber is not a great vocalist. However, her distinct vocal style has its own merits and is well suited to her compositions. I saw the Patricia Barber Quartet perform live at the Green Mill a couple of weeks ago; not only did I get to see her do what she does best--play her instrument--I arrived early enough to see the award winning, internationally recognized jazz auteur walk in off the street, pour herself a drink at the bar, take off her coat and begin to play. Now, that's a long sentence. Ultimately, it is her ability to interpret, to imagine, to create with her piano and the accompanying instruments that make her a great artist.

You Gotta Go Home
Clues
Lost in This Love

No comments: